Two of its common structures are low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which vary in terms of structure, density, and characteristics. They are widely used in regular domestic applications. In the paragraphs below, you will understand the difference between HDPE and LDPE.
1. LDPE film
Structure of LDPE
- It is abbreviated from low-density polyethylene.
- It has a natural, milky-white color and is translucent.
- It is resistant to chemicals and has a strong impact.
- It has a good stress crack resistance, and a good vapor barrier as well.
- It has excellent alcohol barrier properties too.
2. HDPE film
Structure of HDPE
- It is abbreviated from high-density polyethylene.
- Like LDPE, its color is also a natural milky white, and as per its density, it can be translucent or semi-translucent.
- It has a very strong impact as well, and excellent chemical resistance.
- It is resistant to stress cracking but has a poor gas barrier.
- Like its counterpart, it has a good moisture barrier
3. Factors of Differentiation
Structure: It has a good branching structure, including both short and long chains. The chains are not packed into the crystal structure, and this results in mediocre intermolecular forces.
Density: It has a low density, of course, the range being between 0.910 and 0.925 gm/cm3.
- Drop cloths
- Plastic bags
- Film wraps
- Plastic bottles
- Surface protection
- Water bottles
- Food containers
Strength: It has a high ductile nature and mediocre tensile strength. It is not puncture-resistant.
Production: It is produced by means of free radical polymerization.
Flexibility: It is very flexible, and conforms well to surfaces, though it is soft and less rigid, compared to HDPE.
Melting Point: The average melting point is 221 to 239 °F.
Other interesting page: Distinguish PE film and PP film
Read more: Application of HDPE film in life
Structure: It has a very low amount of branching and has strong intermolecular forces.
Density: It obviously has a high density, the value being within the range of 0.941 to 0.965 gm/cm3.
- Storage tanks
- Automobile components
- Chopping boards
- Canal liners
- Liners for oil tanks
- Containment liners for industrial ponds
- Plastic bottles
Strength: It has high tensile strength. It is dense, has a high resistance to puncture, and is resistant to UV rays too.
Production: It is produced by using catalysts, like silica, metallocene, or chromium.
Flexibility: It is also flexible and stretches well, but not as much as LDPE; it is tougher, less malleable, and more rigid.
Melting Point: The average melting point is 248 to 356 °F.
4. Points to Remember
- Both LDPE and HDPE have a host of common properties.
- Both are sterilized through gamma radiation.
- While using them in the manufacturing process, they are thermoformed.
- HDPE is approved by the FDA, hence it passes the safety factor.
- LDPE is also reviewed to be safe, as it is used to manufacture food packaging.
- Recycling them both is done using a method called pyrolysis.
5. Why choose us?
Bao Ma Production & Trading Co Ltd is complying with the ISO 9001-2015 which ensures the quality control system and the ability to produce different materials and sizes of poly bags and rolls, including:
- Packing products for agricultural, aquatic, food consumption, industrial purposes.
- Zip-lock bag, shopping bag, garbage bag, plastic carriers.
- Plastic sheeting
- Perforated plastic roll
- Poly roll of 2m – 4m measurement for the use of lining prawn-raising ponds, for construction sites and sewage system usage, and as cover sheets for agricultural and industrial purposes.
- Printing services on packages of up to 6 colors with customization
- Trading various plastic raw materials such as PP, HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE…
So, please contact us via hotline: (028) 37540 999 – 096 314 5959 and let us be honored to serve you in the best way possible.
BAO MA PRODUCTION & TRADING COMPANY LIMITED
Address: No. 21 Tan Tao Industrial Park, Road No. 3, Tan Tao A Ward, Binh Tan District, HCMC
Tel: (028) 37540 999 – 096 314 5959